Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day one in Arizona

Back in October of 2009 Uncle Ron and Aunt Mary invited me down to visit with them in Phoenix. I would love to go. When? in February 2010. Ok. this would be great. Get away from the winter in Edmonton in February. YES. I am there. I am your girl. February the 17th was my original flight date but the flight got cancelled and I had to rebook in a hurry as Mary and Ron were expecting me.I called my cousin Maureen and we booked a flight the next day.
I got as far as Calgary as the weather was not
cooperating and neither was
the American customs lineup. What I mean to say is that the line up was long, very long, so between the flight from Edmonton to Calgary being delayed 30 minutes and the impossible long line up I missed my connecting flight and had to rebook again. Air Canada gave us a hotel voucher, a meal voucher, and a 1-800 number and told us to rebook ourselves. Now I thought that this was rather odd as they were right there.
I had a Harvey's veggie burger
and went to the Acclaim hotel. There were 10 of us who missed the connecting flight and 3 of us ended up at the hotel. Ron who was going down to his parents place to pickup a boat and RV
and drive them back to calgary and Tim who was going home to Phoenix from a computer job in Saskatoon. Ron told me about the couple who if they did not get a flight would miss their daughters wedding the next day.
I told them about Tammy from Grand Prairie, who had paid 700$ for a massage therapy conference training and that if she was not in Sedona by 8 am the next morning would be out the money as there was no refunds and you could not be late.
The Hotel was about 7 minutes from the Airport and was very nice. Brand new.
I rebooked my flight and called Uncle Ron with the news. He had arranged for a friend of his to pick me up and now he had to make new arrangements again. They live about 40 minutes outside of Phoenix around Apache Junction and so a cab would be expensive.
His friend had to go on a trip so could not pick me up but he said he would figure something out.
Gave me a number to call when I got my luggage and wait to see who picked me up.
The hotel was very comfortable but I did not sleep well. woke up about every hour. I got my wake up call at 430 and I was already awake and getting dressed. The restaurant opened at 5 and wanted to get a cup of tea for the road. Bumped into Ron and Tim and found out that they did not sleep well either. We all caught the 530 shuttle and got our selves checked in for our flight. I stopped in at the duty free store and picked up some Lindt chocolates for Uncle Ron and Aunt Mary.
The lineup for the US customs and Immigration was not long at that time of the morning.
It moved fairly quickly and after my pat down I was joking with the security people about the chocolates. They said they were not allowed to go as they would melt in phoenix. I laughed. Then the next security man said he might have to eat one to make sure that they were in fact chocolate and
not some prohibited substance. If I wanted I could forget them there. I asked if that might be considered bribery? But seriously, they were all very professional and pleasant and it all went quite smoothly.
Ron got his bag searched and poor Tim got the full works. He said he always got the full works.
The plane departed on time and was it was a smooth flight. We flew along the mountains and went right over the Grand Canyon so I guess I could say that I have seen them now. there was also this very large lake. Uncle Ron thought It might be Mead lake so I will have to check it out on Google earth.
Uncle Ron and Aunt Mary picked me up at the Airport and they looked great. We drove out into the desert past saguaro cactus and Superstition Mountain.
When we got to the house they gave me the tour and showed which room I would be calling home for the next three weeks. It was lovely with a very comfortable bed.
after lunch I showed Mary and Ron that I had 5000 songs on my computer and Mary and I sang a few from the 50's to entertain Uncle Ron while he loaded the dishwasher. How much is that doggy in the window, Moon river, Swinging on a star.
They just don't write songs like that any more. I like the oldie songs. They were fun to sing along to and the lyrics were not that tough. Rubber tree plant and You are my sunshine. We had a great time. Ron wanted to know if I ever listened to all of them and I said probably once a year but I do have my favorites that I will listen to more often.
After lunch Ron had to soak his toe. He had minor surgery on an ingrown toenail and so has to soak his toe twice a day in epsom salts and put his foot up for at least a couple of hours. Mary and I went for a walk once around the circle. It was so interesting. All kinds of new plants and sights. Mary is such a good hostess she kept me entertained the whole time with stories and tales of her youth.
when we got back they watched some TV as the olympics is on. I went to work on my computer trying to finish off the Irish trip that I had taken with Maureen their daughter last year.
Their yard is very eco friendly, no grass to water or mow, just low maintenance desert type plants. Some cleaning up needed to be done of some of the grasses and palmy kind of plants and Ron said that the yard maintenance guys were coming tomorrow. He also had his cleaner coming as he wanted to get the floors cleaned. Heck I could have done that but it is a deal that Ron has with Sara.
We chatted and had a light supper. I was bushed so went to bed pretty early even for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment