Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Tuesday 2 March - Mushrooms and Moss Happen

Another gorgeous sunrise. I had an early breakfast of bean salad around 7 am because I woke up at 430 am. I blogged until around 830 and then looked at houses for sale in the area on the internet.
Mary and Ron were not out until around 930 today and after breakfast Mary and I went for a walk around the circle.
She is telling me lots of things about my father and grandparents. 'Poor Bob he was always in trouble, even if he didn't do it, which was
sometimes true,it did not matter, he still got in trouble for it.' 'In the morning all the kids in the family had to be quiet until grandma had her coffee that grandpa made for her'.
Uncle Ron had told me earlier about how grandpa helped bring wagon trains out to Edmonton from North Dakota in the 1890's. We had a lovely walk and there were even more flowers blooming than yesterday.
Before lunch we went over to the nieghbours, Scott and Terri, and Uncle Ron gave them two bottles of wine for the block party that is going to be happening in two weeks . We will not be here for it but wanted to let them know that we would if we could. Very nice people.
After a lovely lunch of pasta and bean salad I went for a wander through the wilds of the neighbourhood, into the empty lot across the street and in behind the house into the wash. I found mushrooms. They were not big mushrooms but I was surprised to see them at all. I also saw some scat that I could not identify to any domestic pet so I took a photo and figured that when I got home I could look it up. Raccoon is what I figured it out to be.
there was a leftover of water in the wash making a pretty kind of pond and there were footprints in the mud. Coyote and deer were there for sure but what else I could not say. Maybe a raccoon. I found out that they are in the area and can be quite a nuisance. I would like to see one though.
I continued my forays into the thickets and little trails. There were lots of birds; quail, cactus wren, I even saw a verdin, a very cute small bird with a yellow head. It was to fast for me to get a photo. Bunnies all over the place. Moss too growing under the thickets. will wonders never cease.All that rain brought out things that I never thought that I would see in arizona.
That evening we were going to the Arizona Opry. My first Opry. I remember Minnie Pearl and the Grand Old Opry. It is a dinner theater style where everyone does more than one thing. the fellow who showed us to our table was the very tall guitar player, Bill Wells. (I bought his CD) Well it was marvelous. They served a big dinner, mine was vegetarian, and then there was a two hour show. There were about 8 members of the band and they all seemed to be able to play all the instruments.
I liked Michael T. Hermsmeyer too. (I bought his CD) He played fiddles, banjos, guitars and horns too. George Staerkel was the leader or MC, and he used to be in the Tokens, the group that did 'The lion sleeps tonight'.(I bought that CD too) It was all great fun. I picked up a necklace , a vase and a yodelling pickle. we got home at around 1030 and went right to bed, tapping our toes in our sleep no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment