Monday, November 14, 2011

Tuesday Route 66- the Oatman Hwy and Aunt Doris.

After the Caverns I scooted out to the Rte 66 and was on my way to Aunt Doris's. I figured it would probably take less time just to follow Rte 66 around toKingman than to go back to 40 and then to Kingman. Rte 66 is actually a real nice road,two lane Hwy, older of course , but gentle curves and not steep anywhere. The weather held and was sunny clear. I went through part of a reservation and Peach springs which was the little town that the disney movie 'Cars' was modeled after. I got to Kingman and pulled over to take a look at the map and decided that the shortOatman Hwy, a continuation of Rte 66, with the little green dots might be quicker than staying on the freeway and going straight west and then south to Bull head.The Oatman was already going SW and Rte 66 had been so pleasant to drive thus far.It started out lovely with the little mountains in the distance and the gently rolling hills.One could see where at the bottom of the 'Dips' the washes had gone over the road in more inclement weather. The mountains got closer and I thought there was probably a valley that the road would go through.We started to climb and the road started to get a little bit curvier and slower. The signs were more frequently telling me to slow down to 30 curve ahead, then 25, then 20 but when the signs starting telling me a hairpinturn was coming up and recommended 10 mph and the cliffs were getting higher and we were still climbing I knew I was in for it. My nightmare road. Just as narrow as an Irish road in the country with two lanes marked but not really wide enough for two vehicles to pass comfortably, no shoulder to speak of and not nearly enough guard rails on the corners. I pulled out a one point to make a final video in case I died on this hwy from hell. I did have quite a few heart stopping moments when vehicles of a larger size would come whipping around a corner (I was on the outside lane). But I did survive as this blog is testament. Went past a working gold mine and the small tourist trap town of Oatman where wild burrows come right into town and walk around looking forcarrots or other treats from the townsfolk.I kept on going to Aunt Doris's and a nice quiet cup of tea.
Rte 66 calmed down after Oatman into the nice comfortable road that it had been before that horrendous last section. I found Hwy 95 with no trouble and proceeded to locate Aunt Doris with almost no problem what so ever. She laughed out loud when she heard which route I took.
Her Sister, Elaine, and herself had done that hwy with a camper! I believe that that is actually, physically impossible, but she also lives to tell the tale.
She lives in a real nice RV park where most of the spots are actually double wide and single wide trailers. there are some RV's but not that many. we had a lovely visit and went out for chinese at the chinese buffet down the road.
then as it was tuesday we went to the community hall and played bingo. I won a dollar. Aunt doris won the big prize, $16.50. a wonderful day all in all

No comments:

Post a Comment