Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Friday - Nov 6 - Back to Superstition

I actually slept in till 7... shocking I know.
Had a nice tea and breakfast with Aunt Doris, packed up the car and was on the road by 8.am. The weather was perfect for driving. overcast with no rain.
Hwy 95 south, the old Rte 66, was my traveling companion
again , with not too much traffic and so I made good time to Needles where the hwy goes into California.
In eastern California the scenery is pretty much the same as western Arizona except maybe a little more
hilly with lots of dips in the hwy. I saw cotton fields, my first ever and was very tempted to stop and pick some but did not. I remembered the movie with Sally Fields where they picked cotton and cut their hands all up. From the heart?
It was a good movie even if I can't remember the name.
I pulled over twice to get photos and to let some very fast people go past me I was going 70 mph on the 60 mph road. But I would rather have people in front of me than behind me so I pulled over and got some shots of the scenery. The little inspection station, where you turn onto hwy 10 was very little . I got gas and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't pump. i guess it is an older style pump as you had to lift the lever that the nozzle was resting in to get the pump to work.Now I know
.When I got to Tonopah, I had my choice of the new burrito place with the gas station or the older looking bar / restaurant.
I chose the older and was not disappointed with the food. The decor was a little shaky though, but the locals were all there so I knew that it must be fine. Ihad lunch, a nice little pizza.
back on the hihway. I went through quartzite where Aunt Doris gets her gold in the desert. the road was good and not too crowded.
Coming into phoenix was a little bit concerning as I wanted to go straight through to Mesa and didn't want to get lost but I had no problem and found my way with ease.
I went to the Superstition Springs shopping mall and bought a few things at sears. I found a game store and picked up a jigsaw puzzle for Aunt Doris. a Daschund puppy in the shape of the dog. real cute. I got my hair cut and thought about staying in mesa for the night but then thought I would probably be close enough to Gold canyon to make it back tonight. I drove on. I stopped at the mall in gold canyon for dinner, the mexican place, and it was good then up to the gate and home.
I stopped by the new house on the hill to get a photo of the sunset and met the general contractor, Peter? who says it will take another year to finish the house. It is huge, footprint wise not height wise. 2 lots with a large central courtyard and views to die for.
then back to Mary and Ron's and greetings and telling of all the stories of my adventures on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment