Thursday, March 5, 2015

Mazatlan getting there was a long haul with red tag .ca ( don't do it)

 Sunday afternoon left edmonton. flew to phoenix and waited  hours to fly to LA. flew to la and at 1am flew to Dallas texas which is undergoing a renovation of the entire airport. wooden walls and no washrooms outside the restaurant so had to walk back over a 1/4 mile to find one, at 930 am flew to mazatlan and landed at 1100
 glad to get there

Day 1 in Mazatlan ( Monday the 19 Jan) 

The Plane landed


first cab. Diane had a discussion with the cab organizer as the to the price but he won out at 500 pesos (50 Dollars) when she had only pain 300 peso to get to the airport.
 the ride home was interesting. Diane told me how they had spent their first three seeks in Mazatlan. getting sick , going to clinics and doctors for Linda, how bad linda got.
We were quiet when we got home in case Linda was sleeping. 
I did a cursory unpack and quick change into a cool summer dress.
Diane offered me my first tequila in Mexico. (maybe my last tequila in Mexico).
took our first picture of us drinking in Mexico. good times, good friends, good grief, 
We chatted and formed a plan.  I was not very hungry so my first lunch was half a sandwich,  and we headed off for my first walk seeing some of the souvenir shops on our way to the beach. of course i bought some post cards.
The beach is magnificent WOW! with miles of sand, a gentle surf and no steep drop-offs into the warm ocean. We got there by way of the Mazatlan Inn, and my first pool where Diane has passes for us to get towel so we can go there for free. 

Of course I had slathered myself with SPF 60 sunscreen and was the very white white Canadian on the beach. It was lovely, warm breezes, warm water, warm smiles from happy tourists and the beach walkers. we were almost immediately set upon by sellers and venders carrying their wares. I called them walk-marters. Now how to get rid of a walk-marter in a nice but firm way ( they are just trying to make a living too) is to simply look them in the eye and say no thank you, look away and keep walking. They will sometimes still try to convince you that they have such a good deal just for you but if you hold firm and repeat this once more they will leave you alone.
We wandered the beach until I thought I might be getting burned (a little paranoid as I burn easily) so Diane showed me the second hotel with a happy hour and so we had a beer, a pacifico, my first mexican beer. It was very cold and very good. It seems that almost all the hotels along the beach have a happy hour which almost anyone can attend and partake, so we walked down the beach looking at the hotels we might want to check out for their happy hours.
a short walk back to house (only three blocks from the beach) and a lovely dinner of enchilada pie made by Diane. So good. 
Talked and Diane played her mini piano  app on her tablet. So cute. she wasn't . we had a good laugh over that.

No comments:

Post a Comment