Thursday, March 5, 2015

Day Six in Mazatlan - Saturday jan 24 - church ribbons, cerritos beach surfers and serenades

I walked down to the church and left a ribbon for Shauna and Bill on the statue of the saint. stopped off at the little store and picked up some more flan (so tasty), bread and peanut butter.  I love the flan!


We, Diane and I, Ieft and looked for the Cerritos bus going north on sabalo ? and when one did appear but not stop we caught a pulmonia, 70 pesos, to Cerritos beach. (Pronunced sayreeetos) it is a beach about 20 minutes away going north up the coast and one can walk it but there is a large waterway that one must navigate around so the bus or pulmonia is way faster. It is one of Diane's favourite beaches as she can get sea glass there in some quantity. 



My first impression told me it was a local fisherman's beach. The tide was in and it was not that nice as there were boats and garbage all over the place. Diane said it was high tide as there was usually lots of sand and I understood. High tide anywhere and one will find there is garbage (there was a bit more here than just that). We looked for sea glass for a while and as we were leaving the Beach several fishermen were returning with their catches of the day that they will sell to local restaurants. 
We ran into two young  fishermen, Jose and his friend who showed us some of his catch that day. I do not know if one needs a license to catch fish down here or just a boat. I think l saw some of the fish that he caught at the Aquarium the day before but I couldn't tell you what they were called. he seemed very pleased to show me a large pinkish fish so it is probably one that will bring him some money. Me being a vegetarian would not really be supporting his lifestyle as a fisherman. sorry.


Went up to the shops where I found some magnets, the first ones I have seen like that. Diane got a chair massage while I went to the looney bean cafe to get a vanilla bean frappe that was very tasty and when Diane was through her most wonderful chair massage she got a mocha frappe which she spilled before getting halfway finished. We were saddened  as she said that they made really good coffee and that she should pick some up but instead we continued on with no coffee. 
There was another nicer beach just down the road and around the corner. The surfers beach and a large restaurant, the witches restaurant, with shops around it as well. We wandered down the beach a little, watching the young men trying to surf, some of them were better than others and I sprinkled a bit of mom and dad here. A nice place with a bit of action so they won’t get bored.. There were no girls trying to surf which I thought odd but who knows what the protocol is down here.
hmmm? 

We decided that lunch was in order so went to the Witch, got a table with a view of the ocean and ordered quesadillas for me and enchiladas for Diane and Pacifico beer for both. As we were waiting for our order they came and gave us nachos with salsa, that were very tasty and very fresh. 





Zorrito came and serenaded us with spanish love songs. Malaguena. He was very good, if  a little short. He had a CD for sale for but I only bring so much money with me when I go out and did not have enough to purchase one. I did give him a tip though for such a nice song. After Zorrito left the area our lunch order came along with a new mexican band to gave us a show . they had horns and guitars and also sold CDs up by the small stage which again I did not buy.
 Mexican Quesadillas are different  than ours. Mashed avocado (very fresh and tasty) beside the white beans in a white bean puree (interesting) beside the tortillas filled with cheese. I ate almost all the avocado and quesadilla and about half the beans while watching the ocean, the surfers, the tourist and the birds and chatting with Diane. At that moment I was living in a beer commercial, wonderfully relaxing and fun but not permanent.
After lunch we wandered down the road to the bus stop and caught the 7 peso unairconditioned Cerritos Sabalo bus back into town. 
Went for happy hour at the Mazatlan inn. Mango Daquiris. yummmmmm. They give everyone a little bag of popcorn at the happy hour and the pigeons all know this. As soon as you get your bag they are there waiting, cooing and walking around so of course you feed them. Entertainment comes in all forms.
We wandered home and after a bite to eat we both hit the hay, happy and content.


No comments:

Post a Comment