Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wednesday 2 March - Key Lime Pie

Last night I didn't get to sleep until later due to the owl. It actually scared me it was so close to my window. I heard it like it was right there but as it was night and black as black I could not see it.
Even so I woke up early and was out the door by 630 am.
Walked over to the lake along the golf path and as the sun came up got some lovely shots of the shoveler ducks and the white ring ducks.
The Geese were not there yet by the time I wandered on.
I also got a great shot of a black Phoebe just flying over the water with its very clear reflection and a song sparrow beside the water. I had never seen either of these bird before to my knowledge.
I am very pleased with them.
Came back via the off road course and found three golfballs to start the collection with.
Also got a shot of two doves and a bunny.
I got home and had breakfast of waffles with Aunt Mary and Uncle Ron. we popped down to the store to get a few things
and then Aunt Mary and I went for a walk around the circle. It was lovely warm.
When we got back and were having our water in the patio I saw Peter Lorrie skitter across the patio.
Later I got this great shot of a verdin. they are nesting close to the house somewhere so are here all the time.
Aunt Mary and I made a Keylime pie from scratch today. rolled the keylimes, cut them in half and squeesed the juice out of 12 of them. you need 1/2 cup of juice.
We had lunch thinking that the hard part of the job was over.
After lunch we zested the green off of the limes which is much more difficult than it sounds;
we beat the 4 egg yolks and added the sweetened condensed milk and 1/2 the juice; blended that and added the rest of the juice and the zest ;
mixed that and poured it into the prepared graham wafer crust and baked it at 350 for 12 minutes.
While we waited for it to bake Aunt Mary and I started a crossword.
The pie smelled very good and when we took it out.... it was perfect.
Uncle Ron had gone to Rotary and he came home just in time to taste our creation warm out of the oven. It was scrumptious!

No comments:

Post a Comment