Friday, November 26, 2010

Friday, walks and rocks and gates... oh my

Woke at 630 and decided at 7 to go for a walk.
It was so cold last night that the water froze.
Yes you heard me right. Froze!
In very pretty patterns.
I could see my breath as I went up the golf path.
I followed the road around the Superstition road to the other other end of the wall and went over.
There was a nice path going up towards the mountain so I followed it.
It eventually joined on to a road which I then followed to a turn where there was another path toward the mountain then followed.
There were lots of birds out this morning.
The path wound a little bit through the desert.
then there was a gate.
a new gate.
One I had never seen before which only makes sense as I was on a trail that I had never been on before.
I went through the gate and heard a shot way off to the left.
Earlier I had seen a truck parked way over across the valley and so figured that's who was doing the shooting.
I would just take care not to go to the left to much.
there was a very nice little trail going up which apparenty at one time in the recent past had horses on it.
It was a very pleasant walk just me and the birds, the cactus and the sun.
I built an Inukshuk to keep me company.
I did this very carefully turning each rock over before picking it up as one never knows what is under a rock in the desert. I was not surprised by anything at all which made me very happy.
This trail came up to a fence that was running along the mountain east west instead of the one I had been sort of following north south.
This eventually led to the gate that I had been to previously.
the superstition wilderness gate.
I followed the road down from there and since I had travelled part of this road before I knew where it would end up.
At one point I headed east on this road and found another road going south
Now when I say road I mean a Quad trail or wide path, not a paved or even gravel graded road.
This road eventually led me to another new gate and the vehicle of the person or persons who were still occasionally shooting at something way off to my left.
This gate had a road leading to the break in the wall where I scooted in and then tried to cross the golf course only to be stopped by a very deep and steep sided wash which was for me,
without gloves or boots, impassible.
(fear of poisonous snakes and spiders being my main concern not to mention the chance of slipping and falling and laying in the bottom of this large crevice, unconscious, unseen and un-findable without the aid of baying bloodhounds who would only find me after running all through the desert following my trail with their sensitive noses)
I followed it around and was just going to head south back on the golf path when a flash of red caught my eye and turned me east.
A cardinal was feeding under a bush so I attempted to get a clear shot.
I almost succeeded.
the sun was getting warmer now and I was getting thirsty having forgotten to bring a drink along, so I headed back to the house down. Canyon view Trail another new road for me. Lots of new things today and it is not even 930 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment