Saturday, February 13, 2010

Monday - Watch Out for the Bull


After cleaning up after ourselves in the kitchen we went to the store to get the little blue airmail stickers to put on Maureen’s postcards. We mailed them in the tiny green mailbox and went for a walk in the fog to the lake.

Although it was very foggy it was not cold. The road was of course a new road for us but we did not get lost in the fog and it didn’t take too long before we were there. We thought we were there as we couldn’t really see it.

We saw a shoreline to what could have been the lake and should have been the lake so we chose to believe that it was the lake. There are three little farms at the end of the road. One had the wreck of a boat on it while another had cattle. There was a flurry of activity between the three farms with people in three separate cars driving from one farm to another and in between then driving to another.

We found this to be rather amusing as the farms were not that far apart. It seems that everyone on this island drives everywhere no matter how close it is. As we headed back and had just turned a corner when suddenly there appeared out of the mist in the middle of the road two large dark brown cows. We stopped and they stopped. We stood looking at each other for moment and when I took a step towards them they started to move quickly toward us. Well, give Maureen a medal, she was up on a fence so quick but I had no place to jump up to and thought I might have to throw myself over the stone wall to get out of the way of the stampede. Luckily the cows just stopped and looked at us. We had probably startled them as much as they had startled us. We stayed like that for a few minutes and I thought where the heck did the cows come from? They certainly were not there when we went down the road earlier and we had not seen any cattle in any fields that we passed on our way to the lake. well I thought I’m not standing here in the road all day waiting for a cow to move ‘ So I told Maureen I was going to scare them away and she said “No wait.” And I said ‘for what and for how long, I’ve been waiting and that doesn’t seem to be working’. So I shouted rather timidly I must say at those cattle who looked at me like I was something merely interesting but certainly nothing to worry their heads about.

Just around that time a small car drove up a lane way connecting to the road and I thought ‘oh good, someone is here to take care of this cow situation‘ but the little car turned the other way and just drove off leaving us with these two large impediments to our journey home. So I got serious and yelled and clapped my hands over my head. The cows turned and went down the lane that the little car had come out of. We carried on with our walk, flustered and excited about the whole affair.

We went to the cafĂ© at the grocery store and the wife of the owner asked us if we had seen any cows wandering loose so of course we told them our story and where it had occurred. She phoned someone and told them the ‘the two ladies saw them “ I thought that was so cute, we were ‘the two ladies’. At least she didn’t say the two old ladies. Well that seemed to take care of the cow problem. It seems that the government inspector was coming and they wanted to get all the cows over to the post office and those two had escaped. We were feeling pretty good about helping out and were even starting to feel like a part of the community there. We needed some warming up after the foggy walk and so Maureen had chowder and I had chips. Taking about our adventures and how the folks back home would love it...

No comments:

Post a Comment