Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Misty Monday Morning

The calling of gulls woke me very early.

I managed to get back to sleep and woke up what felt like hours later. Got dressed and went for a little walk to the beach in front of the hostel. I spent a small amount of time building an Irish inukshuk. It was very damp and foggy so I headed back inside to get warm. Went to the dining hall and made myself a nice hot cup of tea with my red rose tea that I had brought with me so that I could wake up civilized.

Maureen had read the diary the day before and noticed that I had sketched the Amsterdam airport. I like to sketch given the time and she said that I had to sketch more.

I decided that morning’s early activities should be sketching. I sketched the kitchen that was so clean and perfect with everything in its place and a place for everything. Then I sketched in the dining hall the view out of the third window that was looking out at the road to the hostel. The weather was very foggy misty and so it was very nice to try and capture the hills and houses in the distance slowly disappearing.

Had a tea break, coco puffs and an orange. Yum.

Then I sketched the view out of the second window with the view of the bay and the wall of the hostel garden. It was such a grey day. Now I know why they painted the hostel in all those very bright colours.

By the time I was finished some of the other people in the hostel had come down. The american lady and the tall blond were up and having breakfast so chatted with them. Archie critiqued my sketches and was kind. The Dining hall has stone floors and is very hallow sounding and echoing. Michael arrived followed shortly after by Maureen. Maureen made scrambled eggs and we heated the potatoes and cheese and had some soda bread too. A Wonderful breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment