Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Wilds of Ballinskellig

We got off the boat at around 430 in the afternoon. Did you know there are holes in boats to let the water out.

Well those holes also let the water in before they let it out. Needless to say I was wet through from sitting outside on the little boat along with just about everyone else too.

On the boat Maureen had gotten good directions to the chocolate factory which closed at five but I had to use the washroom. There was moment of conflict. Maureen said there will be a washroom at the chocolate place and she had gotten really good directions. So we headed up past the hostel and into the wilds of Ballinskellig.

Now up until that time we thought that we had been on some bad roads, some scary roads, some narrow roads. I’m here to tell you that you have not driven a road until you drive through the hills of Ballinskellig. Although I still think the Caha Pass was scarier but not by much We drove up hills and down the other side on roads that were steeper than the one Cape Clear. We drove down lane ways that literally were only wide enough for one car with the hedges brushing the mirrors on both sides.

I was in such a state that I had forgotten that I had to go at all and Maureen was mad as her great directions were for naught and we were not going to get to the chocolate factory before it closed.

We came head to head with another vehicle who looked very surprised to see us but was patient and pulled over into this little bit of a wider area and let us pass. We came to a T-junction and asked a fellow where we could find some good roads and he looked positively shocked. Why the roads are all tarred! Both ways. Did we want to go to Port Magee? No! we wanted to go to the chocolate factory.

So we headed off up the road and wound going over the mountain and down into Port Magee.

Well, My bladder remembered that it had a mission and we went into the first pub that we saw.

The Bridge Bar as it was next to the giant bridge across the bay. I had grabbed some dry clothes out of my bag and brought those with me. Relief and dry clothes made me in a much better mood and after we ordered something warm to eat I Went for a little walk down the street.

There was a gift shop about two doors down from the pub and guess what it sold - yes - Ballinskellig chocolates. Well I just about burst out laughing. God knew that Maureen wanted this chocolate and he knew that we were not going to make it to the factory so he gave us the scenic route to Port Magee and Ballinskellig Chocolate. I went back into the pub and told Maureen. Her sense of humour still had not returned completely but she did I believe smile a little. I just hoped that who ever she gave that chocolate to, they appreciated the effort it took to get it.

After we ate and warmed up we went to the gift shop picked up some postcards and a few little gifts and then across the street to another shop do the same again.

No comments:

Post a Comment